Busuu is a self-led language learning platform that focuses on building solid foundations through simplified courses and short, focused lessons. Here’s how it works:
- Free or Premium: Sign up and study for free or subscribe to Premium for additional features.
- Choose your language: Select the language you want to learn and start your lessons.
- Cover the four skills: Our courses teach reading, writing, listening, and speaking, from beginner to advanced levels.
- Practise and correction: Complete exercises by speaking or writing and get them corrected by our dedicated Community of native speakers.
Our courses are designed to provide comprehensive self-study for language learners. Here’s what you can expect:
- Focused learning: Each lesson revolves around a specific topic, like introducing yourself or ordering food in a restaurant.
- Bite-sized lessons: Our lessons teach useful language in manageable chunks of 3–5 minutes.
- Developed by experts: Our courses are created by language experts who apply effective teaching principles to our lessons.
- Fun and engaging: You’ll encounter video bites, interactive exercises, audio recordings, conversations with native speakers, and more.
- Aligned with CEFR: Each language course follows the Common European Framework of Reference, a recognized standard for creating language lessons.
We’re obsessed with the effectiveness of Busuu and regularly measure how well our language-learning methodology works.
In 2016, we conducted an independent study with a research team from the City University of New York and the University of South Carolina to measure learning outcomes.
The study found that 22 hours of Busuu Premium are equivalent to a college semester of language learning and all participants improved after learning with Busuu for 16 hours.