When learning Japanese with Busuu, you will be introduced to the writing system of the language. The information below advises you how to set up your phone or computer so you can easily write in Japanese.
For Windows computers:
- Go to Settings > Time and Language > Region and language > Add a language > 日本語 Japanese > Next > unselect “Set as my Windows display language and Speech”, select Handwriting > Install.
- You will now be able to change from your default language to Japanese by clicking the language icon (next to the time). Select Japanese Microsoft IME. You will see the letter “A” appear in your bottom panel bar. Click it once and it will change into あ. Now you can type in Japanese!
For Mac computers:
- Go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Input Sources > + select “Japanese” and “Add”.
- Look for a flag next to the date and time at the top of your Mac. Click on it to display all the language keyboards you have installed. Select Hiragana. This should be your main input mode for learning Japanese. You are good to go!
For iPhones and iPads:
- Go to Settings > General > Keyboards > Add New Keyboard > Japanese - Romaji (do NOT select Kana) > Done.
- To select this when you want to type in Japanese, switch between languages by clicking on the little globe on the bottom left corner of your keyboard. Enjoy!
For Android phones:
- Go to the Google Play Store and install the Google Japanese Input app
- Open the app and follow the instructions to enable the keyboard in Settings and Select Input method.
- To enable the Romaji version of the keyboard, select Keyboard layout > switch keyboard layout to QWERTY (not 12 keys or Godan).
- You are ready. To switch back to your regular keyboard, you can change it by using the keyboard icon on the navigation bar when the keyboard opens.